Licenses and Permits

The City Clerk issues most licenses and permits. The Clerk must sign, log, and maintain a record of every license and permit issued. Here are some of the licenses and permits issued by the City of Springville:

  • Building Permit
  • Liquor License
  • Wine and Beer Permits
  • Tobacco & Cigarette Permits
  • Solicitor or Peddler License
  • House Moving Permit
  • Golf Cart Registration
  • Tree Parkway Planting Permit
  • Flood Plain Development Permit

Building Permits

Building Permits are required for new construction, adding onto pre-existing structures, and in some cases for major renovations. Generally, the new construction must be inspected during construction and after completion to ensure compliance with national, regional, and local building codes. Failure to obtain a permit can result in fines, penalties, and demolition of unauthorized construction.

Burning Permits

No burning is permitted in the City of Springville limits. In Linn County, outside the City of Springville city limits, no open burning is allowed without an Open Burning Permit which is issued by The Linn County Department Of Public Health.

Read the Linn County Burn Ordinance and Linn County Open Burning Guidelines which includes how to obtain an Open Burning Permit.

Request an Open Burning Permit on the Linn County Public Health website.

Liquor and Tobacco Licensing

In order to ensure public health, safety, and welfare, Springville maintains strict control over the sale and distribution of alcoholic beverages and tobacco products.

Please contact the City Clerk for details about obtaining Liquor Licenses, Tobacco & Cigarette Permits, and Wine and Beer Permits.

Solicitor or Peddler License

Selling door to door or on the street requires a license and a small $2 fee. The purpose is to protect residents of the City against fraud, unfair competition, and intrusion into the privacy of their homes by licensing and regulating peddlers, solicitors, and transient merchants.

Please contact the City Clerk for details about obtaining Solicitor or Peddler License.

Golf Cart Registration

Golf carts, UTV and ATVs can be driven on designated city streets when registered.

Please contact the City Clerk for details about obtaining a Golf Cart Registration Form.

Golf Cart Ordinance

Golf Cart Registration Form

Tree Parkway Planting Permit

Permits are required for all plantings of trees in the parkway of any street or road.

Permits may be obtained from any member of the Park Commission at no cost.

Please contact the City Clerk for details about obtaining a Tree Parkway Planting Permit.

House Moving Permit

Moving a building or similar structure on public streets that use skids, jacks, dollies, or any other specialized equipment requires a House Moving Permit.

A routing plan, bond, insurance, and permit fee are required.

Please contact the City Clerk for details about obtaining a House Moving Permit.

Flood Plain Development Permit

Any changes to real estate, including buildings, sheds, mining, filling, grading, paving, excavation or drilling inside a designated flood plain requires a Flood Plain Development Permit.

Please contact the City Clerk for details about obtaining a Flood Plain Development Permit.

 Springville City Hall   304 Broadway       Mail to: PO Box 347  Springville, IA 52336   319-854-6428
 Hours: Monday - Friday 8 am - 12 pm, 1 - 5 pm
 Phone: (319) 854-6428        Fax: (319) 854-6443        Email: